I don't have an answer for you, but our project has the same problem.
You have to 'mvn install' a plugin that is part of our project tree
before you can build from the top of the project.

We tried adding a dependency on the plugin module, in hopes that it
would cause maven to build the plugin first, but it didn't work.

Does anyone know how to do this? It seems like this would be somewhat
common, since many projects may need to build one or more special
plugins to support the rest of their builds.

-Max