[snip!]
>> But I still got the same error message when doing "mvn install".

> That's because "mvn dependency:copy-dependencies" pulled in the
> dependency-maven-plugin from org.codehaus.mojo, and not the
> maven-dependency-plugin from apache.

> This FAQ entry says they are the same but the apache one is the
> recommended one.
>       http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/faq.html

> However, since I can only find the mojo one, I'm currently going with
> it, and see where it takes me.

This worked, in that it made "mvn install" also install the bundles
produced by our own project, plus the ones they depend on, into the
        $HOME/pde_target_platform/plugins/
directory, and setting the PDE target platform in eclipse to point to
$HOME/pde_target_platform made eclipse pick them up.

Here are the settings from the top level pom.xml file:
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>dependency-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <executions>
         <execution>
          <id>copy-dependencies</id>
          <phase>package</phase>
          <goals>
           <goal>copy-dependencies</goal>
          </goals>
          <configuration>

<outputDirectory>${user.home}/pde_target_platform/plugins</outputDirectory>
          </configuration>
         </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>

Now, I need to find out if I can make maven pull in the eclipse
bundles neccessary for the runtime, as well.  This would avoid this as
a copying step.