Yes, you naturally need to use a compiler at least as high as the code you
wish to compile in. If your Maven is running on JDK 1.4, and you wish to
compile code as 1.5, you will need a 1.5 compiler. You can point to a
1.5compiler in the following way:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/compile-using-different-jdk.html

Eric