You're correct, it is a generic documentation framework, allowing one to
write documents in one markup (xdoc, APT, etc) and generate something else
(HTML, PDF). It does this through the "sink" mechanism... any markup can
output to the sink API (defined as modules), and thus may render to any
supported type (via renderers).

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/doxia/trunk/

Unfortunately no, it is not documented. But it is built into the Maven site
generation, which you can use via the normal constructs - APT, XDoc.

Eric