I'm not clear on the algorithm used for inheritance of pom settings.

It would seem that some settings are merged (obvious example: dependencies), whereas others seem to override. Is there any consistent rule about this or is it just whatever was deemed appropriate by whomever writing that section?

For example, I would like to be able to do this, but it doesn't seem to work:

In the parent pom.xml:

..
 <build>

  <!-- Always exclude this file -->
  <resources>
   <resource>
    <excludes>
     <exclude>**/.cook.fp</exclude>
    </excludes>
   </resource>
  </resources>

In the module pom.xml:

 <build>

  <!-- Cause resource filtering -->
  <resources>
   <resource>
    <directory>src/main/assembly</directory>
    <filtering>true</filtering>
   </resource>
  </resources>

And I would like to end up with the effective pom of:

 <build>

  <!-- Cause resource filtering -->
  <resources>
   <resource>
    <directory>src/main/assembly</directory>
    <filtering>true</filtering>
    <excludes>
     <exclude>**/.cook.fp</exclude>
    </excludes>
   </resource>
  </resources>

but I don't, instead the module setting replaces the parent setting.
--
cg