Federico,

I'm aware of what it does...  The question was regarding dependencies
listed relative to a plugin.

Wayne,

The problem with <pluginManagement> is that I don't necessarily want a
dependency for every invocation of the pluign.

For example, say that have a plugin that uses the jaxb api and I want
to use jaxb in some situations and jaxme in others.  They have the
same api so it might be reasonable to want a plugin to execute using
one implementation in some instances and the other implementation in
another.  Additionally, I'd like to standardize the versions in the
same way as I would with a typical dependency, so that I always use
jaxb whatever-jaxb-version and jaxme whatever-jaxme-version.

My first thought is that a dependency that is listed under a plugin
should also utilize <dependencyManagement>, but that seems to not be
the case.  And, since there's no <dependencyManagement> under
<pluginManagement> I wondered whether this was intentional or an
oversight.

Thoughts?