Dennis Lundberg wrote:
Hi Jim

This is a Commons Logging - Log4J classic. It would take a while to explain it, but the short version is that Commons Logging and Log4J are probably in different classloaders. The best way to trace the source of the problem is to upgrade Commons Logging (temporarily) to version 1.1. That version has a neat diagnostics feature [1] that allows you you to investigate such classloader issues. Turn it on and have a look at the results you get.

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/troubleshooting.html

I'd guessed at some class loader problem. I didn't manage to get any of the diagnostics out for the case where I had the problem, but I did find a way of fixing it. Basically, the jetty plugin needs to be proactively configured for logging, as documented at the bottom of http://jetty.mortbay.org/maven-plugin/howto.html. Either specifying the c-logging SimpleLog implementation through a system property, or adding c-logging and log4j to the plugin's dependencies and letting the automatic selection in c-logging do its stuff both work.

Thanks to Dennis and Wayne for your help.

Best wishes,

jim