Good day to you, Jon,

I don't think filtering your archetype.xml would work during
archetype:create works. Furthermore, I don't think you can use filtering on
directories.

So I guess, what you're currently doing is the best approach right now. Not
unless you would want to contribute in the maven-archetype-plugin ;-)

Cheers,
Franz