Franz - Thanks for the response. I understand the philosophy now. Problem solved!

-Oliver

franz see wrote:
Good day to you, Oliver,

Best if you would create a parent pom for your projects. Then configure here
your common configurations to be used through out your projects.
In this way, your builds would still be reproduce-able. Note that the
settings.xml does not get deployed. Thus, if somebody would build your
project in their machine, there is a chance that it would fail since the
configurations are not known in his machine.

An example of this parent pom is a Company POM. A Company POM is a pom
inherited by maven projects of that project. In this way, that company's
projects inherits configurations that the company requires.

Cheers,
Franz

Oliver Newell wrote:
Thanks Randall - all I could find was settings dealing with activation of profiles depending on the JDK version, not the actual setting of the JDK version.

I did try the following in settings.xml to set the plug-in variable directly, but it didn't work (and it was just a guess):

  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>java1.5-default-profile</id>
      <properties>
        <maven.compile.source>1.5</maven.compile.source>
        <maven.compile.target>1.5</maven.compile.target>
      </properties>
    </profile>
  </profiles>

  <activeProfiles>
    <activeProfile>java1.5-default-profile</activeProfile>
  </activeProfiles>

-Oliver

Randall Fidler wrote:
Oliver,

        Look at the profiles configuration in the settings.xml, I
believe there is a place there to specify the "overall" Java version to
use.

-Randall