On 1/4/07, Dmitry Beransky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I've found a few posts asking a similar question, but there were no
answers as far as I could tell...

I want to run a site:deploy via an external ssh and get this error message:

Is there a reason for wanting an external ssh?

I am on windows and use putty but I have not configured external ssh.

My distribution section looks like:
 <distributionManagement>
   <repository>
     <id>inhouse</id>
     <name>Inhouse Internal Release Repository</name>
     <url>
       scp://HOST/usr/local/www/default/maven2_repositories/inhouse
     </url>
   </repository>
   <snapshotRepository>
     <id>inhouse_snapshot</id>
     <name>Inhouse Internal Snapshot Repository</name>
     <url>
       scp://HOST/usr/local/www/default/maven2_repositories/inhouse_snapshot
     </url>
   </snapshotRepository>
   <site>
     <id>website</id>
     <url>
       scp://HOST/usr/local/www/default/projects/MY_PROJECT
     </url>
   </site>
 </distributionManagement>

In my settings.xml I have:

   <server>
     <id>inhouse</id>
     <username>USER</username>
     <privateKey>/PATH/TO/KEY.openssh</privateKey>
     <filePermissions>664</filePermissions>
     <directoryPermissions>775</directoryPermissions>
   </server>
   <server>
     <id>inhouse_snapshot</id>
     <username>USER</username>
     <privateKey>/PATH/TO/KEY.openssh</privateKey>
     <filePermissions>664</filePermissions>
     <directoryPermissions>775</directoryPermissions>
   </server>
   <server>
     <id>website</id>
     <username>USER</username>
     <privateKey>/PATH/TO/KEY.openssh</privateKey>
     <filePermissions>664</filePermissions>
     <directoryPermissions>775</directoryPermissions>
   </server>

Where the key file was saved generated in putty, and exported via
Converstions -> Export OpenSSH key.  This key file doesnt have a
passphrase (which isn't the best security) but it avoids being
prompted for it during deployment.

Maven happily uses scp and deploys my artifacts without having a "ssh"
executable in my path.