Dennis,

I definitely agree.  The sources plugin has been successfully used as
the mechanism for creating and deploying source jars to the the
repository.  The reason that I brought it up was that any number of
artifacts can be deployed to a repository (
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/faq.html#deploy
) and it seems to be unnecessary to have to manage multiple plugins.

I would understand if there was some added functionality that was
provided by the source plugin, but the goals and parameters both seem
to be a subset.  As far as it being "write protected," wouldn't a
predefined descriptor standardize the process to the same degree?

In the end, I certainly have nothing against the source plugin and the
jar goal of the javadoc plugin because I use them both frequently.  It
would just simplify my POMs and probably promote source and jar
publishing if adding these artifacts was an additional line in the
assembly plugin configuration instead of running each plugin manually
or individually attaching them to the lifecycle.

Now obviously, I could just go ahead and do it, but I brought it up
because assembly's faq refers users to the javadoc plugin for that
artifact and has a different suffix and packaging for sources.  So,
again I'll ask if there is a particular reason that this hasn't been
consolidated or is it just because the assembly plugin seems to have
matured a bit later?