That exactly is what suits our environment and we wish to do that.

Q1)If I create standards  project , say acme-project-standards , where
in acme-project-standards do I place the acme-checks.xml?Do I create
this as a normal maven project?The documentation here
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/customize.html
(Use a custom developed Checkstyle Check modules) explains
customization but does not clarify where the  acme-checks.xml would
go?

Q2)Assuming Q1 is sorted , then in my master pom.xml , I then list
acme-projects-standards as a dependency? Or must
acme-projects-standards be configured as an extension , eg (as
documented at
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/customize.html)

<build>
          <extensions>
              <extension>
                  <groupId>com.mycompany</groupId>
                  <artifactId>mycompany-checkstyle-checks</artifactId>
                  <version>1.0</version>
              </extension>
          </extensions>
      </build>

A step by step treatment would be very helpful.

Tx

Am looking at the TIPS section of the document and it seems like it
explains how to do this.Will shout if  stuff doesn't work