I understand there are Eclipse IDE plugins, but from downloading and trying
one of them it seems like there's very little it actually does (at least
from what I can tell), and they're quite poorly documented for total
beginners like me.

Based on your experience, do you mostly use Maven from the command-line?
What types of things do you do within Eclipse with Maven to simplify your
development process?

Could you recommend what a good Eclipse plugin would be? I've seen a couple,
and I really can't tell which is comparatively the best...some suggestions
would be appreciated.