I have a question about how to combine the structure of source/resource files
as required by Maven and as suggested by version control. Of course you're
familiar with the Maven structure, and the structure of the version control
is often PROJECT/{trunk,branches,tags}

How would an example of the hierarchy of source folders and files therefore
look in the version control repository for source? Would the first level in
the hierarchy (topmost level) be PROJECT, or would it be
{trunk,branches,tags} further subdivided by project?

(I ask this question assuming multiple projects, branches, and tags.)

Is this layout flexible, or do Maven's usual rules for directory structure
dictate a certain layout when combined with version control layouts?