historically, maven scm started to develop pure java provider based on
svnkit.
However svnkit also now has a new license scheme that no longer
compatible with apache, and therefor the effort stopped.

http://svnkit.com/licensing/index.html

There is also effort to branch off svnkit but i dont think it is active

http://fisheye.codehaus.org/browse/svn4j

-D