Why is this
http://maven.apache.org/general.html#tools-jar-dependency
suggested? Why it is not

<systemPath>${java.home}/lib/tools.jar</systemPath>

If developing with Eclipse then under "Help > About Eclipse SDK > Configuration Details" my Eclipse says
java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11

I have JAVA_HOME environment system user variable set to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_011 which has no effect on the Eclipse's java.home variable.

Now, when a project with a (transitive) dependency to tools.jar in way suggested in the FAQ exists, there is no way for maven embedder to resolve the tools.jar.

The only solution is to start the Eclipse with the -Djava.home="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_11\jre".

I guess all developers have JDK installed and not only JRE. Am I missing something?

Regards,
Borut