Wayne Fay wrote:

> Did you use the [...] notation in your versions?

The question I asked myself was "Why is the '[...]' notation important?".
So I went to Better Builds with Maven (pdf) and found this in section 3.6:

> When a version is declared as 1.1, as shown above for plexus-utils, this
> indicates that the
> preferred version of the dependency is 1.1, but that other versions may be
> acceptable.

Combiningg Wayne's helpful contribution with the above, I understand why.
Without the [...] notation, maven is free to choose whatever version.  With
the [...] notation, maven is bound to that version (or versions, if the
[...] specifies a range).

Thanks,
John