Hi,
Thanks for the comments, I will try to fix the doc, please review
http://www.jfrog.org/sites/artifactory/latest/install.html where we talk
about first admin user and system properties.

For deploying you first local repository, we use the import from local disk
feature. You need to create a clean maven repo tree with the standard
groupId/artifactId/version/files on a disk accessible by Artifactory and
then go to the import page and set the root folder of the above tree.

For web dav, me I'm using a dummy pom.xml that looks like:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>
   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
   <groupId>org.artifactory.deploy-test</groupId>
   <artifactId>aye</artifactId>
   <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
   <packaging>jar</packaging>

   <distributionManagement>
       <repository>
           <id>artifactory-server</id>
           <url>dav:http://localhost:8080/artifactory/[EMAIL PROTECTED]</url>
       </repository>
   </distributionManagement>

   <build>
       <extensions>
           <extension>
               <groupId>org.apache.maven.wagon</groupId>
               <artifactId>wagon-webdav</artifactId>
               <version>1.0-beta-2</version>
           </extension>
       </extensions>
   </build>
</project>

and from where this pom sits you can run:
mvn deploy:deploy-file -DrepositoryId=artifactoryServer -Durl=dav:http://...
-Dfile=.. -DgroupId=... -DartifactId=... -Dversion=... -Dtype=...
-Dclassifier=...

Hope it helps.