Hi all,

[Using Maven 1 .... can maven 2 help me here ?]

I have a common dependency D (jar), used by multiple main modules Ma, Mb
(wars), all bundled into an ear E (the jar is not deployed in the webapp,
but in the ear).

The first version of the ear E is easy to build. D1, Ma1, Mb1, E1.
When only a part of the ear dependencies evolves, making a new version of
the ear is much more complex.
For example, we add features in Ma (so Ma2) , which requires modification
(let's say compatible with D1) of the common dependency D (so D2), but no
change on Mb (Mb1).
When I try to create E2, using D2 in the project.xml, we have the following
issues :
- I have no automated way to check that Mb1 runs with D2 without creating a
new version of Mb (whose only difference would be a single line in
project.xml)
- E2 doesn't work, because Mb1 inside, has a manifest which looks up for
D-1.jar, whereas E2 contains D-2.jar.
I would need to issue a new version of Mb just to declare new versions of
dependencies ?

Now actually our project has a dozen of "common" dependences (the D above)
and 4 ou 5 wars (the Ms above). I fear configuration management will become
a nightmare.

Would Maven 2 help me build a E2 without issuing new versions of every
"unmodified" module ? I find the maven 2 transitive dependency feature quite
confusing on paper.

Thanks in advance for your help.