You're not the first person who has asked for this functionality, but
as far as I know, it does not currently exist in the release plugin.
The release plugin only handles a few very specific use cases at the
moment.

Feel free to add an enhancement request to the JIRA for release plugin
for this feature, but please search before adding as I'd expect its
already been posted.

Wayne