I did some further research and found that my variable wasn't in systemScope.
Why would it be there locally on Eclipse but not the build machine.  Is
there something I need to do to enable that?

I had to resort to something like this to see the variable, but that still
presents me the problem of having to hardcode the environment in my
maven.xml:

        <goal name="echome" >
                <echo>${runtime.env}</echo>
                <echo>${systemScope.setProperty("runtime.env",'TST')}</echo>
                <j:choose>
                        <j:when test="${systemScope['runtime.env'] == 'TST'}">
                                <echo>${runtime.env} is found</echo>
                        </j:when>
                        <j:when test="${runtime.env} == 'TST'">
                                <echo>${runtime.env} is not found</echo>
                        </j:when>
                </j:choose>
        </goal>

Please let me know if there is anyway for it to pickup my ${runtime.env}
from my project.properties on the build server.

Thanks,
Lou