nicolas de loof wrote on Thursday, April 05, 2007 9:20 AM:

> Why don't we get a dependency failure if maven cannot built the
> expected classpath ?

It can, but with different versions. The xdoclet plugin itself does not declare
any dep to ant, so it is inherited. The problem is, that the used
maven-antrun-plugin declares a dep to ant and ant-launcher, while the used
xdoclet:xjavadoc artifact declares a dep on ant only. Obviously is
ant:ant-launcher:1.6.5 used in the antrun plugin not compatible to
ant:ant:1.5.1 used in xjavadoc... and I have no idea if there are more
transitive deps to ant in all those declared deps of the xdoclet plugin.

M206 has changed the sequence of the dep resolution and it does not have an
idea that ant and ant-launcher are related ... since ant:ant-launcher:1.6.5 has
a converted POM without any deps. So it worked formerly simply by chance.

Welcome to dependency hell :)

- Jörg