I have a project (common-data-access) of type pom that is used to group a set
of common libraries for reuse.  In this case, I group all libraries that I
need for a data access project.  In each data access project in include
common-data-access as <type>pom</type>.  I have encountered two issues and I
was hoping someone could help me.  First, it appears as though artifacts
that are defined as <scope>provide</scope> in common-data-access are not
recognized by projects that include common-data-access.  The oracle jar file
is one example.  In addition, it appears as though dependencies with a test
scope are also not recognized by projects that include common-data-access.

Below is my pom.xml, am I doing something wrong here?

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>

        <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <parent>
        <groupId>com.foo</groupId>
        <artifactId>common-maven-build</artifactId>
        <version>8.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </parent>

        <groupId>com.foo</groupId>
        <artifactId>common-data-access</artifactId>
        <version>8.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
        <name>${artifactId}</name>
        <packaging>pom</packaging>

    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.hibernate</groupId>
            <artifactId>hibernate</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.springframework</groupId>
            <artifactId>spring</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.oracle</groupId>
            <artifactId>oracle_jdbc</artifactId>
            <scope>provided</scope>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.foo</groupId>
            <artifactId>common-spring-util</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.foo</groupId>
            <artifactId>common-configuration</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.foo</groupId>
            <artifactId>common-abstract-unit-tests</artifactId>
            <type>test-jar</type>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>log4j</groupId>
            <artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.foo</groupId>
            <artifactId>common-configuration</artifactId>
            <scope>test</scope>
            <type>test-jar</type>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>