Thomas,

As I expected, I can't reproduce your problem.  I put the buildCommand
that you've included into the .project file for an eclipse project,
run eclipse:eclipse and it stays put.  Are you running eclipse:clean?
That would completely remove and regenerate the .project file.
Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that eclipse:eclipse only modifies the
.classpath file.

By the way, I'm using v2.3 of the eclipse plugin.  Do you have a different one?