In your POM, you should configure the assembly plugin with the following:

<finalName>debug</finalName>

Although I will say that this will only generate a 'target/debug.dir'
directory, not a target/debug one...that's because the assembly format is
always appended to the directory/file name.

...oh, and if you're creating multiple types of assemblies, you may want to
stick that into an execution-level configuration block.

BTW, I noticed the *.jar entry...are you trying to capture a dependencySet
with that? If so, you could use:

<dependencySets>
 <dependencySet>
   <outputDirectory>libs</outputDirectory>