Hi

2007/4/26, Heinrich Nirschl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On 4/26/07, Roland Asmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As I see it, you just described the only solution that works. I may be wrong
> here, so if any of the maven-programmers think I am: please DO tell me!
> No matter how you assign the version-numbers, fact remains that maven can
> not 'automatically' handle branching.

As I see it there are two solutions:
1) starting the maintenance branch before the release and doing the
release on the branch, in this case you have to manually adjust the
version on the trunk.

2) doing the release on the trunk and starting the maintenance branch
from the tagged version, in this case the version has to be manually
updated on the branch.

Maybe the release plugin should be enhanced with a create-branch option that:
create a branch (named '${tag}.x) from the tag,
checkout the project from the branch in target/checkout directory,
change the checkouted poms versions (say ${tag}.1-SNAPSHOT)
then commit the branch

and you get rid of the manual adjustment.

is this dumb? do that need a enhancement jira?

Raphaël

Both approaches work, but there is some manual version editing in
both. Once the branching is done, the release plugin works fine on the
branch (for releasing further maintenance releases) and on the trunk
(for releasing the next major release). The manual update is only
necessary once per branch.