Roland Asmann wrote:
The release-plugin will update your POM to the version you specify as the release-version. It will also commit and tag this verison in your SCM. After that, it will prepare the POM for the new iteration (meaning it updates the version once again) and commits that to your SCM as well. Also, a JAR/WAR/EAR/whatever is build and released in the specified (company-)repository. Along with any sites you have configured.

Hi Roland,

I've been following this thread with great curiosity because I'm struggling with some related issues. You seem quite knowledgeable about how the release plugin operates, so I'm hoping you might know of a trick or two that can help me out.

Maybe it's a bad idea, and please feel free to let me know if there is a good reason to change this strategy, but we don't use the typical Maven version numbering scheme. We work in an agile environment and use our iteration number as the minor version number. The major number is reserved for major releases, as usual. The revision is used when we release a "patch" release during an iteration to fix specific problems for our QE department prior to the usual iteration release. So, for example, my current project's release is 0.18.0 meaning that we've released iteration 18 to QE. We're currently working on 0.19.0-SNAPSHOT.

I understand that I can use the --batchmode switch to keep the release plugin from asking me for new release numbers, a big problem because we have about six sub-projects that all must be re-versioned for both release and a new snapshot. It's not good to have to key in new versions six times each. :-) What would be nice, is if I could specify the new release/snapshot versions in some kind of system property, something like the -DdryRun property. Do you know if this is possible?

Thanks for you patience with my long explanation, but I thought the detail might be helpful.
Regards -
David