How does maven's declarative convention over configuration stack up against
scripted solutions like buildr, groovy/ant or scons when it comes to
maintenance costs for large projects?  Is there anyone out there who is
involved with a large complex project who can weigh in on how sustainable
maven has been and how much work it has required to keep bit rot at bay?

I have a project with 20+ sub-projects which I'm planning to convert from a
home grown maven like system written in shell scripts and ant to maven.  It
seemed like a no brainer, the system's process matched maven's model quite
well.  Then I read these two pieces and while I disagree with them I need to
ask... "how sustainable is maven for large scale projects"

http://blog.labnotes.org/2007/04/18/introducing-buildr-or-how-we-cured-our-maven-blues/

http://blog.labnotes.org/2007/05/03/buildr-or-when-ruby-is-faster-than-java/

Scripted solution can be much more concise than declarative, but they can
also become very complex very quickly.  I'm of the belief that I can use or
misuse any technology and create a smoothly running system or a maintenance
nightmare.  I just want reassurance that maven doesn't have some hidden
cost, or how best to avoid the pitfalls if it does.

FYI, I already know about the Better Builds with Maven and the sonatype
books and am working my way through them.

Thanks for the help...

--
Peter Kahn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]