Okay, I've found the problem; it's in the assembly plugin, where I'm not
using the correct method to retrieve the transitive POM set (there is one
that allows "stub" models when it detects a non-4.0.0 POM, and another that
doesn't). I'm fixing it now, but it won't be released for a little while
(there are several more things that need to go into that release).

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.

-john