In trying to get around some issues I have tried to remove Maven (2.0.6)
completely from my PC along with the repositories.

Can someone tell me if Maven is using some way, apart from the repositories,
of keeping track of which files it thinks it has on the local machine?

Even if I delete the Maven installed folder as well as the user and system
repositories, reboot and re-install the maven files I still get the
following error :

C:\Project>mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.appfuse
-DarchetypeArtifactId=appfuse-basic-struts
-DremoteRepositories=http://static.appfuse.org/repository
-DarchetypeVersion=2.0-m4 -DgroupId=com.rave.chester -DartifactId=Chester

[INFO] Scanning for projects...

[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.

[INFO] org.codehaus.mojo: checking for updates from central

[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'org.codehaus.mojo' could not be
retrieved from repository: central due to an error: Error transferring file

[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted

[INFO]

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR

[INFO]

[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not
exist or no valid version could be found

[INFO]

[INFO]

[INFO] Total time: 2 seconds

[INFO] Finished at: Sat May 12 19:46:11 EST 2007

[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M

[INFO]

Any ideas?

Regards