Wendy Smoak wrote:
The first thing I would do is add a <version> element to your <plugin>
with the latest version number:  2.0-beta-5  then try it again.

Thanks Wendy,

I didn't even think to look for a more recent version.

In the end I didn't need it because I discovered (embarassingly) that *release:perform* does what I was going to try to do via the preparationGoals.

My real problem was that I had not read enough about the process of releasing using the release plugin.

Cheers,
Evan