Hello Vince,

Nice way of doing it!  Though I think it would be better to do an
"installer-creator-mojo" instead of a script for the next step.

Cheers!
Nap

On 5/26/07, vcordaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

   I have picked up an interesting project at work.  My end goal is to
deploy our latest code in SVN to our servers nightly.  Now we have a custom
installer built
in izpack.  So ideally I would like to build the pieces that the installer
needs, then build the installer, then deploy the installer.  Anyone ever
done this?

So as I see it the first step is to get the nightly builds in a consistent
and usable location.  We are using Continuum for our
nightly builds, but it's output is to some randomly number directory in
the working-directory.  So my idea was to just use maven tags to scp
the packaged to a http web server located on teh same machine.  So I
started by using the distributionManagement tag and this worked, however I
need
the output in a consistent format, including filename, so the installer
can reference it.  The output from the distributionManagement was from
snapshots
and the final file had the date and time appended onto it.  So I
abandonded this method and moved to using the assembly tag.  This seems to
be packaging and
scp'ing to a location, along with consistently naming the output.   I took
this assembly tag, wrapped it in a profile,  and moved it into a parent pom
and the children, or pieces for the installer, reference it. So now
continuum calls clean package deploy -P nightly.  Is this a good way of
doing this?  Is there a better way?  Anyone have any ideas?

My next step will be a maven script that builds the installer referencing
the assembled pieces from the http server.

Then once I have the installer built, i will most likely use ruby on rails
and capistrano to deploy the installer to a remote server through ssh.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Vince