I think it is already described by the Jira report here:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/ARCHETYPE-54
I have added my vote.
Adrian.

Milos Kleint wrote:
unfortunately won't work with the current archetype plugin. I have the
same problem. the "resource is source" trick used to work a while back
but not anymore.

The only solution I found is to use the archetypeng code at
mojo.codehaus.org that will eventually replace the current archetype
codebase anyway (I hope so at least)

Milos Kleint