Hi all,
I'm trying to use profiles to provide environment-specific properties but
I'm not clear on how profile precedence works.

Better Builds With Maven says that pom.xml overrides profiles.xml, which
overrides settings.xml.
But I've defined a property with the same name in a profile in
settings.xml and also in the pom.xml file. The settings.xml file, when
activated, always wins.

I couldn't find anything on the Maven site that talks about profile
precedence.
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html

What I would like to do is have an activeByDefault 'local' profile defined
in each developers' user settings.xml file. Then I want to specify
properties for test and production environments that can override the
local properties when activated by the -P command line option. Is this
possible?

Cheers,
Kevin

---