I wanted to throw a comment into this discussion...

Please keep in mind that this level of build reproducibility is not
*necessarily* a good thing.  The particular issue I have with the
reproducibility is actually the testing side of it
(functional/integration testing).  I would love to use profiles in a
drop-in fashion specifically to alter the reproducibility of the builds
*from a test perspective*.  However, that would mean use of either
profiles.xml or profiles in settings.xml, neither of which is allowed to
change either of the two things which would be needed, in the name of
reproducibility: dependencies and testResources.

So I would argue that the notion of "build reproducibility" should be
limited to not cover test related concerns.