Why don't you just define the correct SCM information in your parent?

I did actually try that but I think the problem is that I'm using the
parent as an include more than a true parent. (This is so I can have
the plugin configuration for all my projects is centrally located.)
My child pom isn't really a sub-project of the parent pom project (if
that makes sense).

I have this for the <scm> in my parent.
<scm>
  <connection>scm:svn:svn://path/to/svn/${project.name}/trunk/</connection>

<developerConnection>scm:svn:svn://path/to/svn/${project.name}/trunk/</developerConnection>
</scm>

When I run mvn changelog:changelog in my project that whose pom is a
child of my core pom, I get the following error:

[ERROR] Provider message:
[ERROR] The svn command failed.
[ERROR] Command output:
[ERROR] svn: File not found: revision 2025, path
'/project-name/trunk/project-name'

The release plugin runs without errors because it's scm is defined in
its configuration element.

Thanks,
SETH