I think he is looking to place file in META-INF not MANIFEST customization -
I could be wrong and that link maybe helpful none the less.

Some suggestions, maybe not the best solution but:

- Use the antrun pluging to copy stuff over before the package phase (I'm
will assume this artifact is generated during compilation) (already
suggested)

- Treat it as an external web resource and then use
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/examples/adding-filtering-webresources.html
to overlay the META-INF directory directly (ugly as sin)

That second one is off the top of my head and I have not tried it...

-aps