We have two projects. For the sake of this post lets call them Foo and Bar.
Foo depends on Bar and declares it in its pom file. Since both Foo and Bar
are actively worked on and generate snapshot versions using continuous
integration server, this is a snapshot dependency. All is well until we
decide to perform a release of both projects by using maven release plugin.
We release Bar first, update Foo's pom to include Bar's released version
(can't release Bar with snapshot dependency on Foo) and release Foo. So far
so good and we continue development on Foo and Bar and almost immediately
after releasing them need to change pom of Foo to include snapshot version
of Bar in order to pickup any new changes. During QA phase this becomes a
pain - changing pom back and forth.

I decided to parameterize the version specification and have profiles define
either a snapshot or release version. It works for maven but cause problems
in eclipse because the later does not know how to substitute the version
parameter with the value specified in the profile.

I have two questions:
1. Is my approach to handling Foo and Bar development and release life cycle
correct?
2. If yes, how to force eclipse to use profile before it attempts to
download Bar's version from local maven repository.

thanks for comments,

vadim