On 7/1/07, Paul Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hm - following that link (which I had seen) there is a heading named
"Packaging". So if you examine the pom there is a <packaging> element
(jar, war, pom, what are the others?) which is different from the
package <phase>.  Apparently there is some kind of mapping between
packaging and lifecycle.  I'm still interested in whether there is a way
to find out what lifecycles are available and what phases are part of
each lkind of ifecycle - for the pom packaging type I read there is only
the install and deploy phases for instance.

Maybe this is what you're looking for:
http://cvs.peopleware.be/training/maven/maven2/buildLifecyclePhases.html

"Goals are, however, bound to the default build lifecycle by choosing
a <packaging /> in the POM"

I still don't think of it as a packaging -> lifecycle mapping.  It's
the default lifecycle with different goals bound to different phases
depending on what plugins are invoked.

If you come up with a good explanation of all this, please feel free
to contribute to the wiki [1] or suggest a patch for the
documentation.  When I explain it, there's a lot of hand waving and
scribbling on whiteboards that I haven't been able to translate to
plain text.

[1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Home

--
Wendy