I had this bugger bite me during an "Evangelizing session" just yesterday at
around the time you posted this (mine involved the quickstart archetype
thought).

I was also behind a proxy there. But the problem was that the archetypes
metadata got corrupted somehow. Go check
${user.home}/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/archetypes/maven-archetype-webapp/maven-*.xml

If you see something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <groupId>org.apache.maven.archetypes</groupId>
  <artifactId>maven-archetype-webapp</artifactId>
  <version>1.0-alpha-4</version>
</metadata>
with missing <versioning> then we saw the same bugger.

Just nuke the
${user.home}/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/archetypes/maven-archetype-webapp
folder from your local repository and try again.

I've just tried your command behind the corporate proxy here and it
succeeded.

My 2ยข,
Alex