Wayne gave me more credit than I deserved, but we weren't quite talking about
the same thing.  Forget putting anything directly into the repository.
Instead, assuming you're using a multi-module project, create a new sub-module
and define your dependencies there.

So, your tree would look something like this:
. top-level dir ("/"; groupId: com.foo, artifactId: top-level)
|- pom.xml
|- big-ass-dependency (groupId: com.foo, artifactId: big-ass-dependency)
|  `- pom.xml
|- web-proj
   `- pom.xml

In /big-ass-dependency/pom.xml, you'd specify your dependencies.  In
/web-proj/pom.xml, you'd declare your dependency on big-ass-dependency:
    <dependency>
        <groupId>com.foo</groupId>
        <artifactId>big-ass-dependency</artifactId>
    </dependency>

I'd like to model this in maven just for my own edification, but I don't have
time right now. :-(