Hi Robin,

Have you tried turning off all of your anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.
software?  Sometimes these "helpers" silently disable network functionality.

Once you've determined that it is one of these, you should be able to
figure out how to tell it to allow traffic through for the apps you care
about (e.g. your JRE).

Steve