Good day all,

I am having an issue with a project failing, because a dependant project isn't
using properties defined in my settings.xml file.

I have my settings.xml file in ~/.m2/setttings.xml and also symlinked it to /usr/local/maven/conf/settings.xml just so the default locations are covered with the same information.

I am upgrading to Maven2 from Maven1 and am dealing with 50+ projects, with
various interdependencies on each other and 3rd party projects.

To keep the future of managing builds "easy", I have defined all the dependency
versions under profile properties in my settings.xml file.

So, for example, project1 depends on project2, project2 depends on project3 and all have dependency version #'s defined in the settings.xml file. What I'm finding is that project2 doesn't appear to use the properties defined in the settings.xml file. Syntactically everything appears correct and doesn't cause an error, but the project1 build fails based on not finding project2's dependencies. It is looking for ${dependency.project2} which has a value of say, 2.1. So in settings.xml I have :
    <properties>
        <dependency.project2>2.1</dependency.project2>
        <dependency.project3>3.1</dependency.project3>
    </properties>

in project1's pom.xml I have :
        <dependency>
            <groupId>my_project</groupId>
            <artifactId>project2</artifactId>
            <version>${dependency.project2}</version>
        </dependency>

and in project2's pom.xml I have :
        <dependency>
            <groupId>my_project</groupId>
            <artifactId>project3</artifactId>
            <version>${dependency.project3}</version>
        </dependency>

So it's complaining because it can't find project2's dependency of project3. But it's looking for version ${dependency.project3} not version 3.1 that ${dependency.project3} is defined as in the settings.xml file.

Why doesn't this work?

Aaron