Hi,

I agreed with your comments. Here is the practical usage:

The version under source code is building against xyz version 5.6.1.0.
However, we need the capability to build against the non-release quality of version xyz that comes out every day or week, say 5.6.1.1, then 5.6.1.2,
then 5.6.1.3, ...etc.

What about using snapshot releases? I.e. called 5.6.2-SNAPSHOT as long as you think they don't have release quality, and finally change the version to 5.6.2 if you think it's good enough(tm)...

Cheers

Thorsten