It looks like your running a *nix, but can you tell us specifically
what OS, JDK version, Maven version, etc? We've had Windows users run
into similar problems who were having troubles due to overzealous
antivirus software, etc.

maven 2.0.6 running on both OSX and RedHat EL3 (happens across everything at the moment).

If I manually install that 2.0.6 pom from the one copy I have locally (I must have retrieved it successfully through maven at one point) it works fine, obviously because it doesn't have to download it.

Can someone please try moving aside their 2.0.6 maven plugin pom directory and seeing if they get the same thing?

Paul