Nearly two seconds after I posted this, I took a closer look at the j2ee
archetype - maven-archetype-j2ee-simple

and found the <type></type> config param for dependancies, and thus modified
my EAR pom to show:
        <dependencies>
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>foo.bar</groupId>
                        <artifactId>FOOBARWebApp</artifactId>
                        <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
                        <type>war</type>
                </dependency>
        </dependencies>

I don't think the "better builds with maven" actually explicitly talks about
adding the <type> parameter.