Hi,

We have been using m2 and the release plugin for some time and there are a
couple of things that have been bothering me for a while now:

1) When we do a release, the SVN "label" for the release must be located on
the branches/ directory of SVN. This is because the plugin creates the
"label", then changes the POMs to remove the SNAPSHOT and then tries to
commit. By default committing on the tags/ directory is not allowed. As a
result we finish with lots of branches/* and we really cannot easily
distinguish any more between a release and a development branch.

Are we using SVN or maven wrong? What is the best practice for this?

2) We are trying to impose a proper branching strategy to manage code
freezes and release fixes. I have read much on this list about the subject
but nothing near a recognize best practice that actually minimizes the
amount of manual work required for branching and merging.

Does anyone can give me some hints on this subject?

Thanks, any comments will be largely appreciated.

Jose Alberto