L. J. schrieb:
However, even I put the maven-javadoc-plugin version number 2.2 in the
pom.xml as below, maven 2.0.6 still uses 2.3.
<version>2.2</version>

What would be the best way/workaround, any suggestion?

Using version 2.2 of the javadoc plugin is the workaround that I'm using for
the following bug: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-135.
Are you sure that adding this to your pom doesn't work?

<reporting>
  <plugins>
    <plugin>
      <version>2.2</version>