But according to the documentation of the assembly plugin[1]: "This example
demonstrates the creation of repository artifacts in an assembly so that the
archive can easily be used to update an *internal* repository with the
artifacts used by your project."

I want to create a directory structure that I can upload to sourceforge and
serve as a remote repository or is it the same structure?

regards,

Wim

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/examples/single/using-repositories.html