Hi,

see comment inline

John Quinn schrieb:
I'd like to piggy back on this thread, since my question is just drilling
down further.

So, if I say have the following profile in my mvn home settings.xml:

   <profile>
      <id>myRepository</id>

      <activation>
        <jdk>1.4</jdk>
      </activation>

      <repositories>
        <repository>
           <id>myRepository</id>
           <name>Repository for myRepository builds</name>
           <url>http://www.myhost.com/maven/myRepository</url>
           <layout>default</layout>
           <snapshotPolicy>always</snapshotPolicy>
         </repository>
      </repositories>
    </profile>
And then I put in the apache html directory my entire directory structure
and files currently under my local repository under the apache html
directory like so:

/var/www/html/maven/myRepository

Then I now will be getting everything from that repository instead of my
local repository, true?

In theory yes. In practice it's not that simple. Even if they look similar a local and remote repository are different things. A remote repository has additional metadata that is missing in a local repository. See here [1] for example.

To get a valid remote repository you have to deploy your artifacts to it (see below for instruction).

Coincidently someone posted just today in this thread [6] a link to a shell script that converts a local to a remote repository. You may want to have a look at it.

And how would I install new jars in the repository as they are needed, by a
simple copy, or could I then use the install command to get  it to the
remote repository?

As you use the install (for existing projects) or install-file (for 3rd-party jars) mojos to install artifacts to a local repository you use the deploy respectivly deploy-file mojos for remote repositories. See [2], [3] and [4], [5] for instructions.

Thanks,
John

-Tim

[1] http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/hibernate/hibernate/maven-metadata.xml